This Christmas was our first one properly hosting for family, and when it came to making sure we had enough food, let's just say we over-catered a little! Lesson learned for next year, but on the plus-side it's meant that we've been able to make good use of the leftovers and have a few really delicious meals. Which is great, as we both hate waste! Both kids enjoyed a bubble and squeak cake, but with scrambled egg instead of poached and without the smoked salmon. A perfect baby-led weaning meal (if that's your sort of thing!). This recipe involved using up some leftover sprouts, carrots and roast potatoes, plus some smoked salmon that we had left from our Christmas Day brunch. It is GOOD and actually very filling despite the size. Serve with a glass (or three) of bucks fizz!
You will need:
Leftover brussel sprouts (ours contained chestnuts too)
Leftover potatoes (you need about half potatoes/half veg)
Knob of butter
Small amount of flour (to prevent sticking)
Smoked salmon slices
1 egg per bubble and squeak cake
1. Mash up the sprouts and carrots (or whatever leftover veg you have) separately from the potatoes.
2. Mash up your roasties.
3. Mix veg and roasties together well in a bowl, season (if not feeding toddlers/babies), and add a knob of butter to moisten.
4. Dust your clean hands with flour, dust a wooden board/clean work surface also with flour to prevent sticking, and then take a handful of the mixture and shape into cakes of your size preference. We chose the size of a small beef burger (see above picture) so the poached egg could fit on top nicely.
5. Then heat a frying pan with enough oil (vegetable or olive) to cover the base of the pan. Make sure the pan is hot BEFORE you put the cakes in, and then shallow fry for a few minutes each side (depending on the size of your cakes) until they are cooked and the outside is golden but not burnt.
6. Whilst you are cooking the cakes, poach the egg(s) to desired consistency. We like ours nice and runny!
7. Once the cakes and eggs are ready, arrange the smoked salmon on top of the bubble and squeak cake, plonk the egg on top, season to taste, then serve immediately.